Pregnant women should absolutely not eat this fish!

SHAFAQNA Türkiye – Foods that should not be preferred are just as important as healthy foods that expectant mothers should eat. According to experts, eating small amounts of fish during pregnancy can cause problems for babies. For example, mercury in high-mercury foods such as shark and swordfish can cross the placenta to the baby and have a negative impact on cognitive skills, motor skills, language skills and vision.

Specialist in gynecology and obstetrics prof. Dr. Selahattin Kumru gave advice to expectant mothers on how to eat healthy during pregnancy. Kumru said, “There is a misconception among the public that ‘pregnant women eat for two because there are two people.’ Pregnant women will continue to eat normally, but they will pay attention to certain things before they forget they are pregnant. Pregnant women with a normal body mass index will consume an average of 30 calories per day. About 40 percent of those calories will come from carbohydrates. The remaining 60 percent are fats and proteins. There are foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Foods such as walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, cashews are high in oil and rich in omega-3s. Foods like beans and chickpeas are also high in protein. Salads containing greens are very valuable. We advise pregnant women to eat less frequently. It can be scheduled as 3 main meals and 3 snacks.

Photo - Expert's name explained in order |  Pregnant women should absolutely not eat this fish!

prof. Dr. Kumru continued his speech as follows: “If folic acid supplementation is started 3 months before conception and continued until the 3rd month of pregnancy, CSF defects in a child can be reduced by 50 percent. You should definitely do it. They should get very good sources of protein. At the same time, omega-3s are very important for the development of the baby’s brain. Definitely 2-3 servings of fish should be consumed per week. Regular season fish can be eaten.

Photo - Expert's name explained in order |  Pregnant women should absolutely not eat this fish!

Providing information on the importance of folic acid in pregnancy, Kumru said: “If there is a deficiency of folic acid, there can be a problematic pregnancy. Those who plan to become pregnant should start taking 0.4 mg at least 4 months before conception. This will continue until the 12th week of pregnancy. Certain seafood should be avoided. Seafood living on the bottom may contain mercury. Mercury is something we don’t want during pregnancy. The child may have mercury poisoning,” he said.

Photo - Expert's name explained in order |  Pregnant women should absolutely not eat this fish!

Kumru also cautioned citizens against vitamins and said, “If pregnant women are non-vegetarians and have multiple pregnancies, a positive effect of multivitamin supplementation on pregnancy outcomes has not been demonstrated. If normal pregnant women eat properly, they do not need vitamins. Vegetarians and multiple pregnancies need this. Pregnant women may also need iron. For iron, we do not start every pregnant woman as the norm, we start if her indicators have decreased.

Random Post