SAFAKNA TURKEY – WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said at a weekly press conference held at WHO that he returned to Geneva yesterday after visiting regions affected by the Kahramanmaras earthquakes in Turkey and Syria on February 6, and that he had been deeply affected by the devastation and suffering that he saw earthquakes in the areas.
Explaining that many buildings in Hatay collapsed or were damaged, Ghebreyesus said that despite the great destruction, Turkey undertook an intervention of the same scale after the earthquake.
Ghebreyesus said: “During the first two weeks after the earthquake, more than 55,000 people in need of help were taken to hospitals across Turkey by helicopters, ambulances and cars. From day one, Minister of Health Fahrettin Koca led the field activities in the regions most affected by the earthquake.”
Saying that many Health Ministry teams moved to earthquake-hit areas, Ghebreyesus said the teams lived side by side with medical workers and other response teams in tents, containers and vehicles.
Expressing that he was impressed by the dedicated work of medical workers in both Turkey and Syria, Ghebreyesus noted that the earthquake caused the same pain in both countries.
Noting that the risks faced by people living in Syria are higher than those in Turkey, Ghebreyesus said that medical workers on both sides face the same challenges, but those in Syria have fewer resources.
Emphasizing that the 12-year civil war in Syria has destroyed infrastructure, homes and hopes, Ghebreyesus said: “Even before the earthquake, 90 percent of the people in Syria were living in poverty. So far, we have delivered over 200 tons of aid to medical facilities in northwestern Syria.” said.
Ghebreyesus again called on the international community to help Turkey and Syria affected by the earthquake.
Noting that interest in the origin of the Covid-19 epidemic has risen again over the past few days, Ghebreyesus said: “If any country has information about the origin of the epidemic, it is important to share it with the WHO and the international community. science community. We want this not to share the blame, but to contribute to our understanding of how the pandemic began. In this way, we can prevent, prepare for and respond to future outbreaks and pandemics.” said.
Ghebreyesus said: “I would like to make it clear that the WHO is not abandoning its efforts to identify the sources of the Covid-19 outbreak, contrary to recent media reports and comments from politicians.”
Recalling that the WHO set up a Scientific Advisory Group (SAGO) to study the origins of Covid-19 pathogens in 2021, Ghebreyesus said in last year’s SAGO report that the main need should be made in China or other countries to confirm or rule out various hypotheses regarding the origins of the Covid epidemic. -19 noted his work.
Ghebreyesus said the WHO continues to encourage China to be transparent about sharing data, doing the necessary research and sharing results, and said that he had met many times with senior Chinese officials to that end.
- Kidney stone sufferers beware!
- “Turkstat released data on mortality for 2020”
- Announced the full damage from the flood that occurred throughout Antalya!
- Application of “fixed price” for beet sugar
- What causes eye pressure? – Last minute Turkey and world news
- The Central Bank announced: the current account deficit in 2022 will be $48.7 billion
- This year, the flu persists, causing lung damage and severe coughing.
- Gasoline jumped
- How to make the immune system strong?
- Erdogan met with Zelensky – News details